Friday, February 11, 2011

All for the love of children

Oh, boy. I'm about as exhausted as one can be. My Rayla just won't sleep through the night. She did so well for so many months, and then "BAM!" No more sleeping. I tried to let her cry it out, as I did when we "trained" the girls to stay in their beds. But, she just wouldn't give up. And, since I was exhausted already, I just give in after an hour. Ironically, however, after I drag my butt out of bed, get her up, maybe get her a sip of milk or water, I find myself smiling contently as she snuggles into my chest. We usually sit up for a while, and sometimes even "chat". After the frustration of getting up every night passes, and my blood pressure lowers with each calming breath she takes, I am happy that I am here for her. I am happy that I am able to love her, hold her and console her....even if it does take hours. Because for some, that's not an option. Some children aren't blessed with loving homes and loving parents - And some parents don't know what a true blessing really is. So, with droopy eyes, a groggy smile and a dopey slur, I can say without a doubt that every late night I get with my babies is a blessing. Every moment I get to be with them is like a gift to me. And each moment is a constant surprise.

Though I love these moments I get with my children now, I sure look forward to a couple of years from now when they ALL sleep through the night, can be in this house without gates and half doors, and the locks we have installed on the outside of every door in this house can be removed. It's quite funny if you ask me - Our house much resembles a kiddie prison, loaded with toys, balls, locks and gates. Every door has an alarm. Every window is locked kid proof. Every phone is out of reach. We have no coffee tables. Our furniture is kid friendly, and our mini blinds have been removed. Our television is mounted high up on the wall and even some of our light switches are taped down. You may think we're overprotective, maybe even danger phobic. But, we've talked about this many times. And, since our children seem to have no idea how dangerous it is to climb up mini blinds, or how scary it is for mommy and daddy when they go running out the doors at full speed, we know that our protective measures are founded. Even as "empty" as our living areas are of "things" it's amazing how many toys 3 young children can have. We'll be adding to the collection soon: Birthday season is upon us!

The twins turn 2 next month. I commented to Corey on how fast the time has gone by, and how impossible it is that they're going to be 2 already. Corey responded with something along the lines of " Are you kidding?? This has been the longest 2 and a half years of my life. I think I've aged TEN years!!" I see his point. For the last part of my pregnancy with the girls I was on bed rest, in the hospital almost daily, and, with one scare after another, it was emotionally traumatic for all of us. Of course, the chaos continued after they were born with the RSV and the several day stay in the ICU. Then the issue with Kenzie's head. Then the infections. Then the eczema. And this week we top it off with ear infections....In ALL the children, at the same time. Yeah, I see his point. AND HE STILL THINKS HE WANTS MORE?? Good Lord.

It's unfortunate for people like me that there is no manual on how to deal with multiple children. Sure, there are parenting classes. But, the content of most of those classes is on how to discipline your children at different ages and stages. I can discipline just fine (just ask Katie.) But, dealing with 3 children throwing separate temper tantrums for reasons completely unknown can bring on some serious headaches....I mean REAL head ACHES. There are times when I look at my children and smile, and they start to scream. Or I put my arms out to pick up Rayla and she screams "no, no!!" and turns away from me. Naturally, I turn and walk away, only to be subjected to a concert of kicking and screaming, almost like she's mad that I didn't pick her up. Mac is a teaser, and will take every last drop of every second to do something. Even if she knows you're waiting for her, she'll make you keep waiting. Heck, she might even find something else to do along the way, if she feels ornery enough to do so. If she continues this through her teenage and adult years she might have problems keeping a boyfriend.

And I can't go through a single day without being graced with the loose lips of my oh-so-smart little boy. He makes sure that I'm aware of things, when he isn't sure I know. Like, yesterday, he dressed up as Super Mario - Red hat with an "M" daddy made and a taped on mustache. He was getting into the cookies and I scolded him for it, as I had just told him minutes before not to eat anymore before dinner. He made sure to tell me that since he was "Mario" at that moment, what ever I said to "Cooper" didn't count. Cause, obviously, Cooper wasn't here! I mean, "come on, mom.... can't you see that I'm not Cooper right now??" That imagination of his is so beautiful - And even when he questions who does or doesn't have brains - He says that mommy has no brains, but has hair instead - It's impossible not to be so in love with this little dude, and converse with him intently, only hoping to be privy to the next smartass remark he makes so that you may laugh endlessly.

So I leave you today, with a Cute little Cooperism, that's sure not to come true.

"Mommy, I want a baby brother for my birthday"

For shits sake. What's the matter with this family??


No comments:

Post a Comment