Tuesday, January 20, 2015

For Love and Friendship

Oh, buddy.....Almost a year. Good grief. I've been busy! Although I never set any resolutions this year, I do hope to get back in the swing of the blog - The fun stories, the exciting adventures and the crazy moments that we have in this family - You know, they never end. And some of em' are fun to share!

My first blog of the year is not going to be about my children. It's not going to be about my husband, or the wacky tales of woe, or even about my family - It's about me. And my friends. 

Last weekend I took some time to spend a couple days with friends I hadn't seen in years. One friend I haven't seen in 5 years, the other, 15. At some point in our younger years, we were all so much closer. But, something happens when you become adults, and the ring of friendship changes. With time, people change, they grow apart, they grow up, or they just lose contact with people within the lives they are building for themselves. In many cases, those friendships aren't rekindled. I'm a lucky girl - I got to see those friends last weekend. We gathered for the bridal shower of my friend Kelsey, who, somehow, hasn't seemed to age a day in almost 20 years. Her beautiful daughter in tow, Kelsey introduced me to the family of the man who she's about to marry - They're vibrant, happy, loving and so welcoming to her that, until introductions were made, I couldn't tell who was on the bride's side or the groom's! That's a good sign. 

The shower was fun - I watched as she interacted with her daughter. Something I had never seen. And, it made me smile. Her careful watch was always in the forefront, and her firm, yet gentle directing made it seem like she was born to be a mother. I am so happy for her. Gracie, all 7 years of her, stood up while her mother opened presents and vivaciously introduced herself to the group of ladies gathered to celebrate her mom. We all stood and introduced ourselves at the beginning of the shower, and, it appeared, Gracie had been overlooked. She was having none of that - Her ability to stand up, talk loud, yet gently get every one's attention reminded me so much of her mom 20 years ago. 

Our mutual friend, Coco (her name is really Sequoia) was invited and decided to attend the shower too. We connected in the days before, and decided to travel down together and stay at a hotel for the night. Why not? Our wonderful husbands offered to take care of the kids, and we could.....So we did. We talked for hours, with our car ride beginning with a flashback of Lisa Loeb's "You Say." Really, we started singing that within a minute of being on our way. Some things just never change.....

After the shower, Coco and I headed back to the hotel for a few short minutes to unwind and gather ourselves before heading to dinner with Kelsey. We talked, we laughed, we teared up, and we got to know each other all over again. But, in sitting there, it was like no time had passed at all. The way we just let it all out, talking about our kids, our lives, our falls, our rises and the joy we have in our marriages that we hoped would be experienced by Kelsey in the near future. A funny thing though - This night was the first night we have ever had a drink together. We toasted to love and to life - It was perfect. 

So here's to new beginnings, old friends, rekindled friendships and the realization that, it's not that far to travel to see these girls. We should do it more often.......


No comments:

Post a Comment