Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Superman

Space. The final frontier........

If you haven't yet seen the Star Trek movie, I'd happily recommend it. I never watched an entire episode of any of the Star Trek's, yet I found the movie to be absolutely fantastic. AND, I understood much of it. Imagine that.

I am not as Hollywood or television educated as my dear husband, and I can't count how many times I've said to him "I have never seen that" or, "I have never heard of that." Most of the time when I render that response I get a disgusted sigh much resembling the response I get when I've done or said something completely out of line. I'm pretty sure he's seen every movie ever made, except what's just been released, and has memorized each line and character. Until just a couple of years ago I had never seen the entire Star Wars trilogy. Yeah, Star Wars!! Yet, I've graced my simple mind with movies like "Clueless," "Teen Witch" and "ET". With many movies yet to see, I figure it will take my whole life to see all the movies that I SHOULD see. Like Superman...I don't think I've seen it. Until then, I'll just have to ask what everything means when Corey recites a few lines from scenes out of some movie!

Our daily lives are very much a mix of stress, exhaustion, chaos, confusion and lack of time. I'm always going on about how I am affected by it, but my poor husband has a lot on his plate, and deserves a lot of credit for all he does for his family. Through the difficult time that I had while pregnant, through the girls' birth and their hospital visits thereafter, Corey was determined to be by my side as much as he could. He was able to bring his work home and did his reports while being able to see that I was okay. After Mac and Rayla's birth, so that he could be at the hospital with us, he worked there, too. Sometimes, he'd be working on his reports throughout the night, just so that he could get them in and still be there at the hospital for his babies.

He took Katie to her softball practices. He did the grocery shopping. He did the cooking. He did all the laundry. He did the cleaning. And after all the "had to do's" were done, he reorganized our house in preparation for the girls' homecoming. I had never seen a man go through "nesting" but here was my husband, doing all the things that I should have been doing, but couldn't for the sake of the babies and myself. After the girls were home, his golf league started again and once a week he golfs with the boys. For most men the golfing would probably be a nice, relaxing way to enjoy a weeknight, but, for Corey, though he enjoys it thoroughly, it makes for a long day after his work at work and his work at home. He loves golf way too much to admit that he's too tired to play! I have the most determined, driven husband and I just pray that he doesn't overdo it in the long run. Now, I may not have seen the movie "Superman", but I'm pretty sure he's my husband, so maybe I don't need to see that one after all!

Yesterday my dear husband played in a grower/shipper golf tournament during the day, and went on to golf in the evening with his league. His back has been giving him so much trouble over the past couple of years, and it is getting progressively worse each day. His back was hurting yesterday, so he took a couple of his pain pills to get him through. Well, it was 85 degrees outside, he didn't eat anything ALL DAY, probably didn't hydrate himself enough and by mid afternoon was just plain sick. Cooper has been very ill in response to his immunizations, and Corey has been worrying about him non-stop. It's obvious that Corey forgot to take care of himself and suffered for it. I worry about that man. Tomorrow, my exhausted husband will be hopping on a plane with his buds for a long awaited getaway to Reno for the weekend. Though I'm jealous, and wish I could get away with him, I am so happy that he is going. He has taken on so much, and without expectation, his family doubled in size in less than 2 years. He went from one child, to four in less that 24 months! There is no question how much he loves his children, his family, but the reality is that having a family this large is no easy task. There's a lot of time allotment involved, and who's going to do what, where at, how so, and with whom. It's like coming home from work requires him to put on his " Yasui Jersey" and gear up for the game at home. I'll make the call, he'll do the run and we'll win the game with all children down at the end of the night. Touchdown!

I am learning how important "me time" is, and have taken up offers of childcare more often recently than I ever have. I don't want to be lacking in life as I am in movie knowledge. No more "I haven't done that" or "I haven't seen that." I realize now how important it is to take time for myself, take time alone with my husband, and make time for each of my children. It isn't easy, and it isn't always in a manner that I want. But, it counts. I am so glad that amidst the chaos that surrounds Corey in every aspect of his life that he, too, can find time for himself. I hope that he thoroughly enjoys this weekend and comes back rested, refreshed.......AND RICH, of course!! Only a wife would say that!

My good friend and her kids are coming here for the weekend and I'm looking forward to having that time with her. I haven't seen her in a year, and she hasn't been to our place since we got married (she was a bridesmaid). So, for both of us, this weekend is something we've looked forward to for quite some time.

Sunday night we'll reconvene in our living room, with hopefully, some great stories to share...........If we don't fall asleep first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment